Rules of the road when cycling
- Ride on the right with traffic.
- Closer you are to the speed of traffic, the further you ride out in the road.
- When turning, use turning lane.
- Obey traffic signs, lights and road markings.
- Give right of way to pedestrians.
- Use correct hand signals.
- Be Consistent! Ride where a vehicle should be.
- Motorists don’t look for traffic in weird places.
- A cyclist is the driver of a vehicle. You must accept the duties and follow the traffic rules.
- Riding and wearing safe equipment, knowing the rules and following the safety tips prevents serious injuries and deaths from bicycle accidents
- The only safe bicyclist is the one who stays alert and aware of their surroundings.
Important Bicycling Safety Tips
- Make it a habit! Six point safety check your bike every time.
- Protect your head. Wear a helmet.
- See and be seen. Stay visible to motorists.
- Stay alert. Listen and Look.
- Obey the rules of the road.
- Use your hand signals.
- Remember that some drivers just don’t see you.
- Don’t ride in traffic until you can safely negotiate it.
- Avoid riding at night, but if you do, be visible.
- Be predictable. Don’t surprise anyone else on the road.
- Prevent bicycle theft. Lock up your bike.
Bicycle Safety Tips Handouts & Guides
Daisy is the engine behind Be-Safe.org — from content production to product reviews and more. What drives her is the passion to make home security information easily available.